Official Text from UK National Statistics Authority used in publications that carry the National Statistics logo:
This text is used where National Statistics designation has been awarded following an Assessment Report. It is intended to convey a strong and independent endorsement for the statistical publication.
“The United Kingdom Statistics Authority has designated these statistics as National Statistics, in accordance with the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 and signifying compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. Designation can be broadly interpreted to mean that the statistics:
Once statistics have been designated as National Statistics it is a statutory requirement that the Code of Practice shall continue to be observed.”
- meet identified user needs;
- are well explained and readily accessible;
- are produced according to sound methods; and
- are managed impartially and objectively in the public interest.
For information on the work of the UK Statistics Authority visit: http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk
Use of Restricted Statistics
The NDTMS supports two national statistics publications, and therefore release practices are governed by the Statistics Act (2007), which has a requirement under (Section 11) to comply with the UKSA code of practice (http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/assessment/code-of-practice/code-of-practice-for-official-statistics.pdf). Within the code of practice, protocol 2 contains the following (Section 7-8).
7. Subject to compliance with the rules and principles on pre-release access set out in legislation, limit access before public release to those people essential for production and publication, and for quality assurance and operational purposes. Publish records of those who have access prior to release.
8. Ensure that no indication of the substance of a statistical report is made public, or given to the media or any other party not recorded as eligible for access before publication. Report to the National Statistician immediately any accidental or wrongful release, and investigate the circumstances.
This is interpreted for NDTMS as allowing the distribution of management reports that are based on data that has not been included as part of a formal statistics release, users need to be informed that these figures cannot be released publically, and therefore the data is marked ‘restricted’.
The responsible statistician for NDTMS statistics is:
Head of Evidence Application Team (PHE)
Phone: +44 (0)20 7972 1963
The person responsible for the NDTMS.net at NDEC - University of Manchester is:
Dr. Andrew Jones
Principal Analyst, National Drug Evidence Centre, University of Manchester
Phone: +44 (0)161 275 1662
Quality and Methodology
The following people have access to NDTMS Monthly National Statistics releases before the figures are published:
- Prof. Michael Donmall, Professor of Health and Society & NDEC Director
- Dr. Tim Millar, Senior Research Fellow
- Dr. Andrew Jones, Research Fellow and Principal Analyst
- Donal Cairns, Senior Information Analyst
- Dr. Stefan Jahr, Senior Information Analyst
- Simon Mason, Software Engineer
- John Hughes, Senior Software Engineer